Frequently Asked Questions
"I'm nervous about getting in touch - I've never had counselling before, and I don't know if I will like it."
It's normal to feel nervous about asking for help and to worry about what it will be like. Taking the step to ask for help can also be a transformative first step to valuing ourselves, and to making positive changes in our life.
It takes courage to face ways that we are unhappy or worried. I offer a free telephone consultation. This is a chance to chat about what you are looking for from counselling, and whether I can offer this.
Furthermore, if you would like to meet, your first appointment (at the reduced rate of £25) will be a chance to try out counselling, to ask questions, and for us to see if I'm the right person to support you. This is all with no obligation, so you can either decide to make another appointment, or not to continue after this first appointment.
"I don't have a particular 'problem', but I can feel fed up and overwhelmed with life. Could counselling help me?"
Often we don't have one, specific issue that makes life difficult. It is more a range of feelings that stop us feeling as content or happy as we hope for. We may feel:
- inadequate and lacking in confidence
- worn out and with little or no hope for the future
- surrounded by people, but feeling alone or lonely with our struggles
- uncertain or conflicted about our next steps
- confused about whether what we are feeling is normal
- that we want to make changes but aren't sure where to start
- scared of taking action without a plan
- despairing of our future
Counselling can help with these challenges in a range of different, helpful ways. It can:
- Clarify - with confidential, respectful support - those aspects of your life that cause distress, confusion, frustration or anger.
- Develop better ways to manage dips in mood and energy.
- Find and start to challenge the negative thoughts and feelings that undermine you - often without you fully realising.
- Identify the real, trustworthy you - hidden underneath the self you present to the world.
- Step out with support and with courage to make changes at your own pace.
- Feel hope, connection and greater control in your life and for the future.
"Where are you based?"
My counselling practice is in a modern garden studio in a residential area. It is approx 20 mins walk from the City Centre, between the Cowley and Iffley Roads and close to St Clements. There is limited, 2 hour, free on-street parking.
(Further details from https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/roads-and-transport/parking/where-park/street-parking).
There are also paid car parking options, for example in the car park behind Tesco, Cowley Road. (Further details from https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/st_marys_rd_oxford_ox4_1)
Frequent buses run from central Oxford, bus and rail stations, and Thornhill Park and Ride, to Cowley Road, Iffley Road and St Clements. My counselling practice is just a short walk from here in East Oxford.